Monday, March 9, 2015

The Wind Beneath Their Wings


 
I would like the pleasure to introduce Curlene! She is the real deal when it comes to supporting and enriching the lives of children. Where most people talk about what they want to do, she actually does it. There's no fanfare here; there's action. Unfortunately, she's a rare breed. The number of people that pledge their support and renege on it, is staggering. I guess the old adage: the road to hell is paved in good intentions, sadly, applies. This is the type of person whom Project Brownstone looks for and values because we can rest assured that she will deliver what she promises.

Curlene, my oldest sister, has been the ultimate example of what art and dance can do for you, and how it can transform the community. I witnessed this firsthand when I was 12 years old when she and friends got together and formed a dance school, Movement of the Children Dance Center, for the young children in our parish community. I had the dubious honor of dancing in their first recital. Let's just say...I'm no dancer. However, it provided the structure and discipline that I needed in my music career as well as running Project Brownstone. It taught me to look outside of the realm of possibility and to reach for the stars.

There's this apocryphal idea that in black communities, unless it's a free service, it will not flourish. They proved this wrong ten times over and are still in business 40 years later! They have a simple business model: for a nominal fee they teach dance classes, all disciplines, as well as provide direction and self-esteem. I remember having a discussion at Columbia in our Annual Fund class. There's a myth that black people do not and will not support causes. While, after some experience with the organization, I find partially true, my sister and friends managed to prove this wrong. So when I feel discouraged, I always have that example to refer to.

She's part of a movement that shows just how much parents are willing to invest in their children's well-being, if given the opportunity. We, as a community, need to take this example and apply it to every aspect of our lives. Instead of pointing fingers and complaining about what is not, we can pool our energy and resources, and change the world. We just have to be willing. We have to be willing to move beyond our own shortcomings and misgivings, and respond to the message instead of the messenger.

Curlene is our greatest cheerleader. Always there to lend support and positive encouragement, she helps to make all possible. If we had an army of Curlenes, the world would be a much better place!! Thank you, we value you!


No comments:

Post a Comment