Saturday, November 29, 2014

Catching Up With Gavin Ferguson


This past week Gavin Ferguson stopped by the office to give us an update on his progress. Gavin is one of our students participating with the Textbook Stipend Project. He is an electrical engineering major at the College of Staten Island. He's about to finish his first semester and wanted to discuss some of his future desires and plans.

Gavin did very well on all of his midterms except Spanish. He didn't fail it; he just doesn't feel confident about the exam. We talked about the best way for him to get the best grade possible in the class. He's going to investigate all of his options. I was so glad to hear him explore all of his options before pulling the trigger and possibly adversely affecting his GPA.

While Spanish is a core class, it's not the most important class he'll take in his career as a student. I advised him on what I thought he should do. That will remain to be seen, but I have an hunch that he'll do the right thing. We don't want him to get hung up and demoralized by subjects that do not edify his chosen major. This is where we step in as an organization and explore the best paths to take in order to reach the goals set forth.

Our job is to make sure he gets out of his college experience whatever he needs to place him in the right position once he graduates. When you see how Gavin's eyes light up when he speaks about the electrical engineering classes, you know we can not afford to put unnecessary obstacles in his way. So here's to making the best out of a not-so-great situation.

I know he'll do fine.....

Cheers Gavin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment